As the demand for information and content continues to expand and evolve, publishers need to offer increased flexibility and value. However, many legacy systems and data formats are not integrated with current technology, requiring extra resources and duplication of work. All at a time when business conditions and cost structures demand the highest level of operational efficiency.
DSCS consultants offers a custom solutions to maximize your content and workflow while minimizing your costs and time to market. With extensive database knowledge, proven composition expertise and full service publishing background including publishing project management, editorial support and creative development, our team is ready to help you improve your publishing business. See a demonstration of our Modular Content Solution or contact us to obtain a free workflow analysis.Publishing
Case StudiesLarge Government Entity: Multi-Volume Reference Guide
- Turn a database containing more than two million complex bibliographic records into 8,000 fully composed pages.
- Pages must be ready for printing and binding within one week of final database release, including a proofing cycle.
- Data is not ordered for print, nor is it sorted or arranged for the desired output format.
- Develop programs to transform records into print-ordered, semantic XML format ready for validation and further processing.
- Sort and prepare XML content into composition-ready input files.
- Create a custom publishing solution to process the derived XML into fully composed pages with dynamically generated dictionary headings.
- Generate laser proofs and print-ready .pdf files for delivery to printer.
- Replace legacy system with a new efficient, timely and cost-effective process.
- Create an efficient method for future editions of a revenue-producing product.
- Save considerable time and money.
International Publisher: Drug Guide
- Create a system to leverage the content of more than 1,000 drug monographs for multiple print and on-line products.
- Solution needs to support a collaborative editorial process that includes pharmacologists, copy editors and production personnel.
- Develop XML data transformation programs that support the editorial process and facilitate production of the time-sensitive print products.
- Deliver fully assembled pages and automatically generated indexes that yield print-ready .pdf files, meeting stringent deadlines without compromising data quality.
- A new system with improved content validation capabilities.
- Intelligent data descriptions automate tasks that were performed manually and prone to errors.
- Multiple print products produced faster to meet competitive time-to-market challenges with greater data integrity.
Publisher: Teacher Professional Development Sourcebook
- Create an information management system to support a flexible, dynamic sourcebook directory and companion website for an educational publisher.
- Publisher has never produced a directory of this kind before.
- Design a database and companion web-based data collection site to support company profiles and multiple category listings for print and on-line directories.
- Develop a comprehensive, easy-to-use system to support revenue generation through dynamic expanded (paid) listings and ad placement options, with electronic fulfillment, and flexibility for growth to expand the market in mind.
- Enhanced listing participation and advertising make sourcebook profitable in its first year of publication.
- Print circulation exceeds 175,000 copies.
International Professional Organization: Directory of Graduate Research
- Create a system to improve collection, management and dissemination of valuable information for one of the largest professional membership organizations in the world.
- Data includes more than 700 institutions and 13,000 staff member profiles for a directory and companion website.
- Provide a web-based data collection and review system that enables members to update information on line and review the content before publication.
- Develop processes to deliver press-ready .pdfs and web-ready content for the companion website.
- New electronic workflow solution replaces a slower, more costly and paper-intensive manual process, significantly lowering editorial costs.
DataStream's Modular Content SolutionTM (MCS)
DataStream's MCSTM is a fully-customizable database system designed to easily manage and repurpose content. MCS allows users to access their data in a web-accessible XML-based repository. Multiple users may collaborate at one-time with the user-friendly interface. MCS was developed to provide users with unlimited output format options - print, online, ePubs, and more - instantly. By allowing content management all in one place and in all phases of development, MCS provides a system that streamlines workflow and leverages the value of existing content.
Watch Demo Download Brochure